Tuesday February 28th« Back to Full Schedule
Wine & Tapas at Penny’s Wine Shop in Historic Jackson Ward
Kristen Gardner Beal and Lance Lemon, co-owners of RichWine, a leading wine retailer specializing in natural, organic, and biodynamic wines in Richmond, Virginia, curate an extraordinary lineup of wines and pair them with their favorite tapas as they welcome you into their new digs, Penny's Wine Shop, in Historic Jackson Ward. Come join us and chill out!
- Taste a curated selection of low-production natural, biodynamic, organic, and clean-farmed wines from around the world with artisan French and Spanish tapas
- You may arrive any time after 5:45 pm
- Free 2-hour parking is available in the area
- Dress is casual
- Kristen Gardner Beal, Co-owner of RichWine - Kristen is a born and raised Virginia native, Founder of VinGo Tours, Co-founder of RichWine, and 2012 graduate of the University of Virginia. Before wine, Kristen worked at the Department of State in Lima, Peru and later transitioned to finance at a global investment bank in New York. She works hard and travels harder, attributing world exploration as the foundation of her love for food, culture, gatherings and wine.
- Lance Lemon, Co-owner of RichWine - Lance is a Virginia native, Actor, Co-founder of RichWine, and 2011 graduate of the University of Virginia. Lance moved to New York to continue his acting career and bartend at Jean Georges ABC Cocina and Kitchen. Cocina soon led him to a role as a wine sales rep for Frederick Wildman and Sons where Lance learned a tremendous amount about wine. He went on to curate, open and manage two successful wine shops in BedStuy, Brooklyn: Wine - O and Liquid Assets. The experience defined his two life passions: acting and wine.
About the Wine Selection Philosophy
- We will explore clean-farmed wine from around the world, sourced from local producers from the old world. Our focus is organic, biodynamic wine, highlighting small batch production. We are all about the story of the wine. It's the story of the men and women in the vineyards to the winemaker and cellar techs. It's the story of the importer and distributors who seek out the wines to sell to your local retail shop, who then tell you the whole story to which you go home and enjoy a delicious glass of wine with loved ones. We take value in finding a wine that fits our ethos at RichWine. We strongly believe that there is wine for everyone. With so much wine in this world today, we take pride in being able to source wines that are not only unique in their value but also delicious in the glass. On the spectrum and conversation of Natural, organic, and biodynamic wines, to say more conventional style wines, it's essential for us to represent a wide variety of wines and help delegate wines to their respective category. It's our job as wine lovers to educate, not to dictate. We are here to help expand the knowledge and conversation around wine!
About the History of the Location of Penny's Wine Shop
- Jackson Ward storefront located on the infamous Brook Road thoroughfare which once served as the primary gateway into Richmond City. Fast forward to present day, the folks that bring you RichWine RVA are adding their own spin on a wine + tapas shop named Penny's, which is an ode to Maggie Walker's St. Luke Penny Savings Bank. A successful black owned, women owned business in Jackson Ward. The RichWine Team (black owned, women owned) is expanding with their sister shop, Penny's. Pennys is not only a nod to Maggie Walker and St. Luke Penny Savings bank. It also is a nod to bringing existing small businesses ( Manny Eats, Stoplight Gelato, and RichWine RVA ) together to invest their ventures in something more significant. Like a bank, Penny's will benefit all and create a larger footprint that will bring value to the neighborhood. It's a place where the community will hopefully contribute their hard owned dollars to put back into the area to help continue to grow the historic neighborhood of Jackson Ward. It's a nod to taking "Pennies" and turning them into something Rich; that carries substance, as RichWine has always been self-funded and grassrooted. It's also a nod to the banking industry where Kristen, co-owner of RichWine, has spent ten years of her daytime career.
- RichWine is a boutique, online wine retailer that specializes in clean crafted low-intervention, organic, biodynamic wine from around the world! Lance and Kristen are childhood friends who have grown to love wine through their individual journeys in travel, selling wine in New York, and eventually becoming neighbors in Brooklyn where the concept of RichWine was born. The two moved back to Richmond within 5 months of each other and launched RichWine RVA, an online wine platform that brings you wine via daily delivery. Lance and Kristen believe wine is a gathering place and started this business to bring clean farmed wine to Richmond community as well as create a lane for hosting wine-centric events.
- Emanuel Baiden of MannyEats will be preparing lovely French and Spanish tapas style dishes.
Wines & Menu
- Coming Soon
All inclusive. 21 and over only and no infants or strollers, except at the Walk-Around Grand Tasting Locals Sunday Special on Sunday, March 5, 2023, at historic Main Street Station.
- Combo Package
- Main Street Station
- Craft Beer
- New Event
- Distilled Spirits
Advance tickets will only be available for sale on this website. Tickets may be available at the door at an increased price unless sold out. All tickets to the Virginia Wine Expo are nonrefundable.
Attendees must be 21 years of age or older to attend all Expo events, except the Sunday Walk-Around Grand Tasting