Saturday March 5th« Back to Full Schedule
Masterclass Seminar: Lisa Giufre of Broadbent Selections Presents the Great Wines of Argentina’s Bodega Weinert
11:45 am - 1:00 pm
1500 E Main St
Richmond, Virginia 23219
Broadbent Selections is one of America's finest boutique importers and distributors, and happens to be based in Richmond, Virginia. Please join Lisa Giufre, Senior Vice President for legendary importer Bartholomew Broadbent and his eponymous firm, Broadbent Selections, as she leads a tasting of the brilliant wines of Bodega Weinert, one of Argentina's premier wineries. Napa Valley's 'Auctioneer' wine, inspired by Bartholomew Broadbent's father, Michael Broadbent, and distributed by Broadbent Selections, will be tasted as well.
- All-inclusive wine tasting seminar
- You may arrive anytime after 11:30 am
- Street parking around Main Street Station will be free
- You'll taste 8 brilliant wines
- About Seminar Leader Lisa Giufre - Lisa found her way into wine in 2001 in Washington DC. Post college, but not quite into a career, she started working in a DC wine shop because she found the best part of funding college as a bartender and a server was talking about wine. Fast forward to 2011, Lisa joined Broadbent Selections, Inc as the mid-Atlantic Regional Manager. BSI is a Richmond, VA based importer. Their philosopy is simple: To represent wines that gratify not just the palate, but the soul.
Now, Lisa is Senior Vice President, Director of Marketing of the company. She has traveled to nearly every winery in the dynamic portfolio and is based in Richmond, VA. Her main hobbies include her two Australian Shepherds, hosting events with and promoting fellow women in the wine business as well as continuing to see the world.
- About Bartholomew Broadbent and Broadbent Selections - Known as a lively, witty and informative wine lecturer, Bartholomew Broadbent is also one of the world’s foremost authorities on Port and Madeira. He is credited for being responsible for the growth of Port consumption in North America during the mid 1980’s and was responsible for the re-introduction of Madeira to America in 1989, instrumental in its growth since then. Bartholomew Broadbent’s company, Broadbent Selections, Inc., founded in 1996, is the exclusive US national importer for some of the worlds most sought after family wineries, including Chateau Musar, Warwick Estate, Spy Valley, Ferreira, Quinta do Crasto, Louis Guntrum, Montsarra Cava, Vilafonte, AABadenhorst, and Dr.Hermann. He owns Broadbent Port, Madeira and Vinho Verde in Portugal, Broadbent Malbec in Argentina, Broadbent Gruner Veltliner in Austria and The Curator in South Africa.
Raised in the English wine trade in a formal apprenticeship to his legendary father, Michael Broadbent MW [Director of Christie’s and prolific wine author], Bartholomew’s company is now one of America’s leading wine importers.
Bartholomew Broadbent was named one of the “fifty most influential people in the wine world.” by Decanter Magazine (June 1997). Broadbent Selections, Inc. was nominated Importer of the Year in 2005 by Wine Enthusiast Magazine and was named one of the 100 fastest growing companies in 1998 by Entrepreneur Magazine and Dun & Bradstreet. In 2013 IntoWine.com ranked him 48th in the “Top 100 Most Influential People in the U.S Wine Industry.” Today, he has expanded from his pivotal role in the breathtaking growth of Port and Madeira to “exert a profound influence on the US wine market” says Decanter. He lives in Virginia where he is also pioneering the distribution of Virginia wines, now available in over 30 states.
About Bodega Weinert
- Founded in 1975, Bodega y Cavas de Weinert is emblematic of the European cultural heritage of Argentine viticulture.Since its first vintage in 1977, Bodegas Weinert has maintained a strict commitment to producing only high-quality wines and is recognized around the world as an icon of Argentine elegance and style. The vineyards where the grapes used to produce the wines of Bodegas Weinert are located in the regions of Luján de Cuyo and Maipú. Vine age ranges from 25 to 100 years old. The beautiful underground cellars were built in 1890 and 1975, and it is here that the red wines are aged for more than two years in European oak casks, giving the wines complexity, stability and grand aging potential.
The Auctioneer wine is a tribute to Michael Broadbent, the auctioneer.
In 1966, Michael Broadbent joined Christie’s to set up their first wine department. Though James Christie auctioned Madeira wine at his very first Christie’s auction in 1776, there had never been an auction devoted only to wine, let alone a wine department. Thus, the first wine auction devoted to wine was in 1966. Michael was Head of the Christie’s Wine Department from 1966 – 1992. Director of Christie’s International from 1967 – 2007 and their Senior Wine Consultant until his death in 2020. He established Christie’s wine auctions in the USA and pioneered wine auctions all around the world, from Australia, to Asia, to Europe. As the Christie’s wine auctioneer, he accepted invitations to develop other wine auctions, notably the Heublein Wine Auctions in the 1970s in the United States which was the catalyst for many of the great American wine collections and saw the birth of the passionate collectors. Michael co-founded the Napa Valley Wine Auction with Robert Mondavi. He presided over the first 10 Napa Valley Wine Auctions, returning for the 15th and 20th, after which it was re-named Auction Napa Valley and always presided over by a Christie’s auctioneer. His son Bartholomew assisted at the rostrum of all the same Napa Valley Auctions as his father.
Michael Broadbent was an enormous fan of the Napa Valley’s early wines. The Auctioneer strives to bring back elegance, restraint, sophistication and harmony. The Auctioneer is made to the style which made Napa Valley famous and appreciated by connoisseurs all over the world. It is elegant. It has a restrained alcohol. It is balanced. It is food friendly. It has acidity. It is definitely not over-extracted, not over-intense, not over-alcoholic, not over-ripe, not obvious. The Auctioneer wine is a wine which Bartholomew Broadbent has insisted be made to possess the charm and quality which would have made his father, Michael Broadbent, proud.
- 2018 Bodegas y Cavas Weinert Carrascal Corte Tinto (blend of Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot)
- 2018 Bodegas y Cava Weinert Carrascal Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2008 Bodegas y Cavas Weinert Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Bodegas y Cava Weinert Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2019 Auctioneer (Napa) Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2018 Bodegas y Cavas Weinert Carrascal Malbec
- 2010 Bodegas y Cavas Weinert Malbec
- 2011 Bodegas y Cavas Weinert Cavas de Weinert (old vine blend of Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot)
All inclusive. 21 and over only and no infants or strollers, except at the VIP Walk-Around Grand Tasting Locals Sunday Special on Sunday, March 6, 2022 at historic Main Street Station.
- Combo Package
- Main Street Station
- Craft Beer
- New Event
- Distilled Spirits
Advance tickets will only be available for sale on this website. Tickets may be available at the door at an increased price unless sold out. All tickets to the Virginia Wine Expo are nonrefundable.
Attendees must be 21 years of age or older to attend all Expo events, except the Sunday Walk-Around Grand Tasting