Saturday February 19th« Back to Full Schedule
VWE ACADEMY: All About Virginia Wine with Jay Youmans MW & Caroline Hermann MW, Online - Class #1
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
In partnership with the Capital Wine School, the Virginia Wine Expo is launching the new Virginia Wine Expo Academy (Academy), a unique and unparalleled opportunity to learn more about Virginia wine. Those who complete the immersive, two-class course become members of the Academy, receive a Certificate, and enjoy significant discounts to select Expo events.
Academy Course Requirements & Faculty
The Academy course, All About Virginia Wine, will consist of two classes: Class #1 will be held online (via Zoom & Taped) a few weeks before the main Expo week and the second class will be held live at beautiful Main Street Station during the Expo's biggest weekend on Saturday, March 5. Membership in the Academy - including the Certificate - will only be granted after both classes are completed.
The first, virtual class will primarily focus on Virginia wine's history, terroir, viticultural techniques and challenges, leading winemakers, economics, distinctive characteristics and regional differences, and place in the greater wine world. The first class is a prerequisite for the second class.
Class #2 will be a thorough, comprehensive tasting of Virginia's popular and experimental grape varietals, and classic and innovative blends crafted by Virginia's leading winemakers from select regions of the state.
The Academy course will be team-led by Jay Youmans, Educational Director and Owner of the Capital Wine School and a Master of Wine, and Caroline Hermann, an instructor at the Capital Wine School and also a Master of Wine. There are currently only 416 individuals in the world who hold the Master of Wine designation.
Upon completing All About Virginia Wine, participants will receive a Certificate and become lifetime members of the Academy, entitling them to substantial discounts on select Expo events during the main Expo week and throughout the year.
Discounts of up to $25 on select Expo events (please see below for details) will be permitted after completion of the first online class. If the candidate fails to complete the second, live class, membership in the Academy will not be granted and discount privileges will be revoked for all future events following the 2022 Virginia Wine Expo.
Tickets purchased to attend the Academy are refundable if the refund is requested 14 days before the first online class is held.
In the future, the Academy is likely to add courses which focus on our Guest Regions, which rotate on an annual basis, and other courses which focus on more specific topics relating to Virginia wine.
We hope you join us and become Members of the Academy!
Discounted Events After Completion of Class #1
Below please find the specific events and the discounts offered after having completed Class #1 of All About Virginia Wine
- $25 discount on VIP/Early SMOKED
- $20 discount on VIP/Early Evening Walk-Around Grand Tasting
- $20 discount on POP NAPA! Sparkling Wine & Champagne Celebration
- $15 discount on Masterclass Seminar: Napa Cab - Past, Present & Future presented by Caroline Hermann MW
- $10 discount on Masterclass Seminar: Virginia vs. Napa Valley - A Comparative
- $10 discount on Masterclass Seminar with Ron Edwards - Mendoza's Greatest Reds: Why Sub-region Matters
- $10 discount on VIP Walk-Around Grand Tasting Locals Sunday Special
The cost for this ticket includes BOTH Class #1 (held online via Zoom) and Class #2, which is held live at beautiful Main Street Station on Saturday, March 5, 2022.
- All-inclusive, interactive, immersive seminar
- The price you pay includes BOTH Class #1 online and the live Class #2 on Saturday, March 5 at Main Street Station
- This first class is exclusively presented online via Zoom and will be taped
- Class begins promptly at 10:00 am
- Zoom links will be sent a few days prior to class
About Jay Youmans, Master of Wine & Co-Seminar Leader
- Jay is the owner and Education Director for The Capital Wine School in Washington, DC, www.capitalwineschool.com. He teaches the wine course for L’Academie de Cuisine in Gaithersburg, MD. His credentials include: Advanced Level Sommelier - AS (Court of Master Sommeliers), Certified Wine Educator – CWE (Society of Wine Educators), French Wine Scholar – FWS (French Wine Society), Italian Wine Professional - IWP, Burgundy Wine Educator ( BIVB), Bordeaux Wine Educator (CIVB), Napa Valley Wine Ambassador, and Master of Wine - MW (Institute of Masters of Wine), which he passed in 2004, receiving the Vina Errazuriz Award - www.mastersofwine.org.
- For the past seven years Mr. Youmans has been the Competition Director for the Virginia Governor’s Cup® Wine Competition, one of the most stringent wine competitions held in the world.
About Caroline Hermann, Master of Wine & Co-Seminar Leader
- Caroline Hermann, Master of Wine (MW), is a highly respected wine lecturer, having taught wine industry professionals since 2010 at the Capital Wine School in Washington DC. She has worked in many aspects of the industry, including wineries and retail sales, as well as wine law and regulations. She has studied viticulture, winemaking, and tasting analysis at the University of Bordeaux, and judges tasting competitions internationally. Caroline is a WSET Certified Educator for wine and Japanese sake, and is Washington DC's first woman Master of Wine.
- Coming soon
All inclusive. Price Covers Drink. 21 and over only and no infants or strollers, except at the VIP Walk-Around Grand Tasting Locals Sunday Special on Sunday, March 6, 2022 at historic Main Street Station.
- Combo Package
- Main Street Station
- Craft Beer
- New Event
- Distilled Spirits
Advance tickets will only be available for sale on this website. Tickets may be available at the door at an increased price unless sold out. All tickets to the Virginia Wine Expo are nonrefundable.
Attendees must be 21 years of age or older to attend all Expo events, except the Sunday Walk-Around Grand Tasting